Leonie Cudbertson: Minding Miracles
About Minding Miracles:
- Soon to be registered childminder educator
- Passionate about child-led learning
- Calm, nurturing home setting
- Central Ilkeston location
I love working with children; they’re so absorbent. I love the way they take everything in and are curious about so much. They have huge imaginations; I love getting caught up in their amazing stories with them! This is precisely the reason why decided on a career in the early years; working with children it brings out the child in me!
My professional early years experience has come from working in nurseries. I decided to start my own home-based childcare business so I can care for my own son, aged 9 months, whilst providing a service for parents too.
I am passionate about child-led learning – allowing children to figure things out in their own way before showing them an example of the conventional way. I enjoy teaching children about the diverse world we live in such as different cultures/religions and celebrating different holidays/festivals and inclusivity such as using British Sign Language whilst we are singing nursery rhymes.
I live at home with my son, partner and our pet baby musk turtle called Tim.
7.30am - 6pm
3 children to 1 adult
Joined us in 2021
From £5 per hour
Minding Miracles is conveniently located close to Ilkeston Town Centre (next to Market Place) with lots of local amenities being a short walk away including Ilkeston library, Victoria Park and Rutland Sports Park.
The school I pick up from is Chaucer Infant School and Nursery.
Other location perks include:
- Straws Bridge (nature walk)
- Elvaston Castle (10 minute drive)
- Good transport links: lots of business and the train station is very close by
About my home setting
My home child-centred with a good range of play resources including home-made resources made from natural materials. I have ensured toys are at children’s own height so they can access what they choose:
- Bookshelf with a range of books for all ages at children’s height
- Made my own busy board for toddlers to have fun with
- Home corner with kitchen, utensils and ‘food’
- Made my own sensory bottles
- Weather watch where children can select daily weather for outdooors
- Light batons and ‘bubble fish tank’ (like a lava lamp)
- Astroturf in the garden so ideal for playing all year around
- Home-made ‘water station’ collecting rain water in jugs and running it through pipe
A word from @Home Childcare
“Leonie’s home setting has a calm nurturing feel. She is an educator who enjoys understanding the uniqueness of each child. This is reflected in the name of her childcare service, Minding Miracles; she believes children are unique little people. Leonie takes the time to understand their likes, dislikes and interests. This means children are fully supported to enjoy and learn in her home environment. Recommended!”
Available for: all childcare services including day care, out-of-school care, out-of-hours
Food offer: 3 home-cooked each day plus snacks, vegetarian meals & some allergies catered for
Driver: yes, but I prefer to walk
Language spoken: English. Happy to care for children with different home languages
School runs to/from: Chaucer nursery & primary school
Leonie's unique features
- Passionate about child-led learning to encourage thinking skills and independence, whilst teaching them everyday life skills to prepare for school.
- Inclusive e.g. incorporates British Sign Language into children’s play activities such as singing and teach children about our differences and similarities
- A recycle enthusiast – I am a great advocate of recycling especially for craft activities and ‘upcycling’ for my playroom
- A great believer in ‘laid back’ approach to the children’s learning and offering lots of choice for play rather than just guided activities, to help promote independence and decisiveness.
Leonie's Coronavirus Safety Precautions
I have carried out a full Covid-19 risk assessment to make sure my home is a safe environment but that it is still welcoming for children. The measures that I have identified to put in place are:
- All toys are easy clean (majority of soft toys on shelves and will be regularly machine washed)
- Any children who want to nap will have their own bedding and washed after each use.
- I have a carpet cleaner, so carpets are deep cleaned at least once a month.
- Hand sanitiser and, of course, regular hand washing!
Leonie's Inspection Reports
Leonie will be registered in May 2021. Her first inspection will take place one year after her registration.
@Home Childcare’s Quality Pledge
Our registered educators provide the very best care and education to children because they are trained to the highest standards and regularly supported to ensure quality continually improves.
Our quality pledge is our quality guarantee to parents. You can be assured that all of our educators have the following:
- Ofsted approved childcare
- DBS checked
- References & Ofsted checked
- Household members, if any, are fully vetted
- Health approved by a GP
- Fully insured
- Paediatric First Aid certified
- Safeguarding children certified
- Complies with the mandatory childcare standards
- Regular outdoor learning for children
- Safe & clean house regularly risk assessed
- Appropriate and safe toys/equipment
- Sufficient space for numbers of children allowed
- Inspected every year to check quality
- Regular monitored and supported by specialist inspectors
- Regularly updates specialist knowledge & skills with on-going training
- Accepts childcare vouchers, tax-free childcare, student finance etc
- Transparent invoicing & easy payment methods