Sophie Clifford: Tiny Beings
- Nurturing, child-led approach to learning
- A lover of outdoor play & adventures
- Easy accessible location close to parks & woodlands
I’m Sophie from Tiny Beings Childcare. I am really excited to provide my own home-based childcare service for local families. I live with my husband Tom, our 2 year old daughter Aurelia and cat Mari. Prior to having Aurelia I worked in the NHS as a Dietitian. I’m fun, adaptable and love to try new things.
I believe in a nurturing approach to children’s care and development.
I understand the thoughts and feelings of parents when transitioning a child into childcare. This is why the settling in/transition period is an important part of my provision and ensuring it is child/family led.
I’m passionate about food- in eating a balanced diet, cooking and baking and trying new foods and in allowing children to learn about food and explore. Home cooked food will be central to the provision.
I am very interested in how children develop by being encouraged to learn new skills through play, and how early relationships and social interaction help them develop vital skills for life. I love their curiosity and innate sociability! I enjoy seeing the world through a child’s eyes allowing tem to to slow down and be in the moment. I enjoy providing rich language to their play and their new experiences.
I enjoy helping children to understand themselves and their emotions through the use of personal story books and songs.
I am passionate about the outdoors for children for expanding language. It’s a great way for develop their range of movement, confidence, risky taking, experimenting with rich sensory experiences on offer and much more!
7.30am - 5.30pm
3 children to 1 adult
Joined us in 2021
Hot meals provided
From £5.50 per hour
I live in S10 1LQ which is close proximity to Bolehills Park, Sheffield Botanical gardens, Weston park and Rivelin Valley, just to name a few. I feel blessed to live so close to parks and woodlands, as well as a stable and alpaca farm! I am also very close to a beautiful library.
There are plenty of local woodland walks to explore, and we are only a short walk or bus ride to the city centre with art galleries and museums.
About my home setting
Tiny Beings is a calm home environment, with a cosiness to it. Children are given free play opportunities they need to help them develop. We love to use the outside world as the main catalyst for learning. At home and in the garden, we enjoy sensory activities. And, it’s all based on the early years curriculum.
Resources are natural or ‘real life’, with baskets and low shelves used for children to access what interests them. I have lots of equipment which helps develop gross motor skills e.g. balance board and a scooter board which is fantastic for core and upper body strength.
There is a cosy tipi in the lounge with a handmade knitted fire and picture books for a lovely sensory retreat for children to snuggle up in.
The garden is enclosed and a good size, with grass area, vegetable and herb patch, mud kitchen and mud garden. There is a bug hotel and I have plans to build a little fairy garden!
A word from @Home Childcare
“Sophie has a natural talent for sparking children’s wonder in the world around them. This is reflected in her nurturing home setting which is a treasure cove of natural resources for children to explore. Your child will enjoy the many adventures they will have with Sophie!”
Food offer: Nutritious home-cooked, balanced meals
Available for: Tuesdays – Thursdays full day & out-of-school care
Examples of activities: water play, dressing up, muddy fun, den building & obstacle courses, puppet play, baking and, of course, lots & lots of outdoor woodland play
Driver: No, I prefer to walk with children
Language spoken: English. Happy to care for children with different home languages
School runs to/from: Westways Primary
Sophie's unique features
- Child-led approach in a nurturing, real life family environment
- Outdoor play is a major feature
Passionate about on fostering children’s interests, sensory and curiosity preferences
- Emotional intelligence is promoted by encouraging children to explore & take risks
- Natural & ‘real life’ play resources with easy-to-reach storage for children to access what interests them
- Close to several beautiful parks & woodland areas
- Accessible area within walking distance to the city centre & Hallamshire Hospital
Sophie's Coronavirus Safety Precautions
I have carried out a full Covid-19 risk assessment on my setting. Regular hands-washing is part of our routine, as well as wiping down all toys/ books, surfaces etc regularly wiped down. I follow the government’s Covid-19 guidelines for my setting.
Sophie's inspection reports
Sophie is due to be registered in May 2021. Her first inspection will take place one year after her registration.
@Home Childcare’s Quality Pledge
Our registered educators provide the very best care and education to children because they are trained to the highest standards and regularly supported to ensure quality continually improves.
Our quality pledge is our quality guarantee to parents. You can be assured that all of our educators have the following:
- Ofsted approved childcare
- DBS checked
- References & Ofsted checked
- Household members, if any, are fully vetted
- Health approved by a GP
- Fully insured
- Paediatric First Aid certified
- Safeguarding children certified
- Complies with the mandatory childcare standards
- Regular outdoor learning for children
- Safe & clean house regularly risk assessed
- Appropriate and safe toys/equipment
- Sufficient space for numbers of children allowed
- Inspected every year to check quality
- Regular monitored and supported by specialist inspectors
- Regularly updates specialist knowledge & skills with on-going training
- Accepts childcare vouchers, tax-free childcare, student finance etc
- Transparent invoicing & easy payment methods