Training to be a Childminder
"Childminders spoke highly of the face-to-face training provided by the agency prior to registration, both in terms of content and the way it gave them opportunities to extend their learning through discussion and sharing of ideas."
Ofsted report 2020
Start-up training to set up and run a successful home early education business
The training is in two stages:
Stage 1: Minder in Mind
Minder in Mind, our initial training, gives you essential information about childminding legislation, the role and responsibilities and the process of registering as an educator.
Minder in Mind is delivered as convenient online training.
The fee for Minder in Mind is only £15. It includes a 30 – 45 minutes telephone question and answer session, which we arrange after you have completed the interactive online course.
Complete the enquiry form if you would like to purchase our online briefing.
Stage 2: Become a Childminder Educator Pre-registration training
Stage 2 is the core training required to register as a childminder educator. The comprehensive training is delivered as a blended learning, a mixture of classroom training in physically distanced small groups and live online training.
- Introduction to Childminding (1/2 day)
- The Business of Childminding (1 day)
- Understanding and implementing the EYFS requirements including safeguarding children and health and safety (blended learning)
Please note, as pre-registration training is funded, there is a requirement to complete some business planning coursework. You will be told during the training when your business planning evidence of learning is due to be submitted. We generally give you 2 months to complete the coursework but you can complete it earlier if you choose.
2. Paediatric First Aid
- Blended learning – part 1 is online and part 2 is a practical session at our training centre
- Includes essential emergency first aid
- Suitable for Ofsted registration
- Delivered in Nottingham only
3. Food Safety
- Meets the requirements of the Food Standards Agency
- Short online course
- Flexible and convenient
Course Delivery and Support During the Coronavirus Pandemic
We value dynamic classroom training as a good networking opportunity for prospective childminders to come together to learn new skills and knowledge, as well as sharing ideas and experience. Therefore, we have prioritised topics such as safeguarding children for classroom delivery, whilst other modules such as the EYFS learning and development requirements, are delivered as live online training.
The classroom training has been limited to smaller groups than usual, to ensure we can keep to the 2 metre rule for social distancing. The training environment is infected controlled and we telephone all delegates beforehand to discuss Covid-19 safety measures.
Our tutors are Early Years Professionals and senior leaders with extensive occupation experience in the sector including childminding.
All learners are issued with certificates on successful completion of the training and handout/resources are also provided.
Course Dates & Times
Dates and locations are as follows:
1. Become a Professional Childminder:
Saturdays at 9.30am – 4pm in Nottingham & Sheffield on :
- 12th September & 3rd October in Nottingham
- 19th September & 10th October in Sheffield
Weekdays at 10am – 2pm on 4 days over 2 weeks:
- w/c 21st & 28th September (exact days TBC)
2. A series of live online training in the evenings covering essential Early Years Foundation Years topics
- 24th October in Nottingham (to be confirmed due to social distancing rules)
3. Food Safety is an online course completed at your own convenience.
Please note, our classroom training meets the Coronavirus socially distancing requirements. However, dates of the course are subject to change depending on the pandemic restrictions during that time.
What childminders say about our pre-registration training:
“I have learnt how and what I need to do to be a successful childminder.” Grace
“The 3 days worth of training was definitely worth the effort. I learnt more than I anticipated was involved with becoming a childminder.” Irene
“I am very pleased that I am registering with @Home Childcare. They are very supportive and helped with the change of career. The training is amazing. It helped me to understand the role by hearing from the trainer’s own experiences. I am very excited about the future!” Gemma
Becoming a childminder educator is a serious business so it is important you are adequately equipped for the role and responsibility.
You will need:
- Have good levels of English and Maths
- Aged 18 and over (the age of 18 – 21 is preferable for childminder assistants)
- Be available to attend all the different days/times of the courses that makes up our training
Our full start-up support and training is completely free of charge, whether you are in receipt of state benefits, unwaged not on benefits or in employment. Other eligibility conditions apply. We will provide advice about this during the enquiry stage.
Please note, our full support package is available in most of the locations we operate in, except Birmingham, Swindon (Wiltshire) & Bristol areas.
Have a question for us?
If you have a question about anything, big or small, no matter what it is, we’d love to hear from you! Just press the button below, fill out the form and a member of our team will get back to you as soon as we can.